The heat wave has returned at altitude and the routes, which temporarily came back into condition due to the recent snow falls, are now again very dry.
The temperatures are expected to rise over the next few days, which will mean virtually no re-freezing at altitude and an increase in stone fall.
- Albert 1er : The snow bridges are getting weaker in this sector. The way over the bergschrund on the Aiguille du Tour normal route has collapsed. There is a way across but this demands a higher technical level than usual.
- La Charpoua : The traverse of the Drus remains feasible and the glacier is OK for the moment. There have also been parties on the Flammes de Pierre. N.B. the route “La Reprise” has been re-bolted and the glue has not yet set. Do not climb before the 5th August.
- Le Couvercle : The Brèche Nonne-Evêque gully is dry, the approach to the Contamine-Labrunie on the Moine is difficult but goes still. No problems for the other routes on the Moine. No information about the Moine ridge on the Verte.
- Leschaux : The routes in this sector are generally in good condition but there is still some snow near the top of the Grandes Jorasses. The Walker Spur looks feasible.
- Envers des Aiguilles : Still a lot of activity in this sector, though some of the bergschrunds are becoming awkward and others no longer passable, (Subtilité Dulférienne and l’Homme du Rio Grande). The bergschrund for la République is still OK.
- Le Requin : The Dent du Requin and Congo Star have been climbed, no particular problems. The route up to the Cosmiques is still being done, good glacier rope technique needed.
- Torino : 2 parties traversed the Rochefort Arete towards the Canzio bivouac. The normal route on the Grandes Jorasses looks to be tracked. Parties on the Kuffner Ridge and the Aiguilles du Diable; the approaches are very dry, the rock sections are generally free of snow but the snow sections are awkward, (the snow is wet/soft.) The Dent du Géant and the traverses of the Entrèves and Marbrées are in condition. The Tour Ronde does not look inviting.
The Tacul satellites remain OK, though some of the bergschrunds are now awkward.
- Cosmiques : The normal route up the Tacul is being climbed, (some ice just before the summit.) The 3 Monts route was done on 3rd August, in difficult conditions due to wind, fog and lack of freezing. The Pointes Lachenal has been traversed, but it is more technical than usual. Nobody on the Triangle du Tacul, (very dry).
- Les Grands Mulets : Contact the warden directly for information on this sector.
- Le Goûter : The return of the hot weather means the stone fall has increased in the Grand couloir, including the morning!
- Durier : Parties have done the Aiguille de Bionnassay, (there and back,) and also the traverse to the Goûter, (no further information.)
- Les Conscrits : The Dôme central, there and back, by the Tré-la-Tête glacier remains possible but the Dômes de Miage traverse is no longer being done, (ice).
- Monzino : A lot of stone fall in this sector and parties going for the Innominata turned back from the way up to the Eccles bivouac.
- Gonella : The hut has been shut since 30th July and the normal Italian route up Mont Blanc is in bad condition.
- Grand Paradis : The normal route from the Victor Emmanuel hut has sections of ice, (+ stone fall). These zones can be bypassed by going towards the Chabod hut, then up the moraine until the Schiena d’Asino, to reach the glacier above the difficult sections.