Slightly better the weather these last few days has allowed people to be out and about in the mountains again.
Here is latest information that has been gathered:
- Albert 1er: Aiguille du Tour normal route and the Tête Blanche are tracked, as well the ascent of the Eperon Migot. The normal route of the Chardonnet is not tracked because the rope on the Migot skied down. The best approach to the hut is still by the moraine path and not via Charamillon. Depending upon the time of day, snow shoes could be useful.
- Argentière: Nothing reported but there will have been activity in this area.
- Couvercle: Only the Whymper has been done recently. The freezing level has been too high and snow shoes or skis are useful, especially for the return.
- Charpoua: A party is attempting the Y couloir this Friday, 10 June.
- Requin: The Vallée Blanche is being done up and down, either with skis or on foot. However, be vigilant in the area below the hut.
- Torino: Generally good conditions in this area, the Dent du Geant has been climbed.
- Cosmiques: The Triangle du Tacul is in good condition except for the Goulotte des Allemands, (not enough snow/ice). Pointes Lachenal, Laurence Ridge and the Cosmiques Ridge are being traversed regularly. The Tacul has been ascended both on foot and ski. Rock routes on the Midi S face and the Pointes Lachenal, e,g the Contamine, are being climbed. The Midi Plan ridge is tracked as far as the Rognon.
No news yet concerning the 3 Monts, though a party set out to do it on Thursday, 9 June.
- Grands Mulets: N Ridge of the Dôme and the route by the Plateaus are tracked, mostly good conditions. Skis can be put on at the Plan de l’Aiguille and the Jonction does not present any problems.
- Goûter: Good conditions and a good track for the Mont Blanc. Snow shoes are not necessary, but gaiters are advisable. The cable is in place in the Gouter Couloir, (Grand Couloir). The Mont Blanc tramway is not expected to start running up to the Nid d’Aigle before the 18th June.
- Durier: A party retreated from the approach to the hut due to bad conditions, lack of freezing and wet snow avalanches, (Tuesday and Wednesday). Possible to approach via the Dômes de Miage, Mettrier Ridge or the Tricot Ridge, after a night either in the Plan Glacier or the Conscrits huts. Do not hesitate to contact the hut wardens for more information
- Conscrits: The approach to the hut via the glacier is in good condition. The Bérangère and the Dômes traverse are being done on foot and by ski. Snow shoes useful for the return if the freezing level remains high. The new path by the footbridge remains closed for the moment due to damage during the winter. The Lex Blanche has been skied, no problems with ice. The North Aiguille de Tré la Tête looks to be in good condition.
Concerning hiking, the snow is slowly receding but remains significant above 2100/2200m. Many of the trails remain risky for the moment and the mountain lakes are still covered. The Tour du Mont Blanc is, nonetheless, being done regularly, but all the cols are under snow. Good quality hiking boots, gaiters, hiking poles as well as crampons (10 points) are recommended for certain sections. Some of the variations are not being done yet.
In the Chamonix valley the higher footpaths are difficult or, in some cases, even dangerous. The traverse of the Grand Balcon Nord is not safe. This is also true for many of the paths in the Aiguilles Rouges on the opposite side of the valley. Check on conditions before starting out.
The “trails” routes at altitude present certain dangers for lightly equipped runners and the reconnoitring the route “A” of 80km is currently not practical.
As recommended above for the hikers, check the conditions before setting out, especially as very unstable weather has been forecasted for the next few days.