While some expedition leaders prefer to organise their own in-country travel and logistics, this can be daunting for the uninitiated and those with limited time. In South America it is fairly easy to do this, but in Asia the potential problems multiply considerably and a local agent can certainly make life less stressful. Identifying reliable agents to help with expedition planning can sometimes be problematic and it is useful to seek guidance from others before making a choice. Below we have listed some agents that have provided a good service to recent expeditions, but it is by no means comprehensive and we would be pleased to hear about others.
June 2013: 'The Club has received a very positive message from Wing Commander Amit Chowdhury, Honorary Secretary of the Indian Mountaineering Foundation. Amit lectured at the Club earlier this year and is keen to build a good relationship with the AC and ease the path of AC members wishing to climb in India. In particular he has offered to help ease the path for AC members wishing to organise joint expeditions with Indian climbers to visit the restricted areas around Rimo and explore some of the lesser known areas of the Indian Himalaya. Anyone who is interested can contact him direct at email@example.com'
- Rimo Expeditions: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.rimoexpeditions.com
- Above 14,000ft Himalayan Adventures: http://www.above14000ft.com/
- Himalayan Run & Trek email@example.com, www.himalayan.com
Nepal: www.everestviewtrekking com
P.O. Box No. 12325, Kapan, Katmandu.Nepal.
"I have recently returned from a demanding 3 week trek in the Dolpo region of Nepal. This remote and little changed area of Nepal is close to the Tibetan border and featured in the classic book by Peter Mattheson "Snow Leopard"
Our Sirdar was Krishna Tamang, an english speaking sherpa from Solo Khumba, now living in Katmandu.He assisted as technical advisor for Eric Valli’s film Himalaya (Caravan) filmed in Dolpo which was awarded an Oscar for the Best Foreign film
I recommend Krishna to Alpine club members as a competant, understanding and as a ‘well used to westerners requirements’ type of person. He was able to procure a pony for my use over 3 days when I struggled with breathing problems!
A highly organised sirdar with High Country, he is currently starting up on his own with a website advertising Trekking, Climbing, sight seeing tours, air ticketing and hotel booking."
China & Tibet:
- Earth Expeditions, Adventure Travel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Russia & Georgia:
- Elbrus Travel, (Gia Ksnelashvili): email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kantengri Expeditions, www.kantengri.kz
- Dickson (email@example.com) 'He is the local agent used by Andrew Wilochowski for his Kenya tours and my wife and I also used him to arrange a safari package for us a few years back (in 2009).' Derek Buckle.
- Asia Mountains Travel Centre, www.asiamountains.net
- ITMC Tien Shan firstname.lastname@example.org www.itmc.centralasia.kg
- International Mountaineering Centre, Pamir Peaks, www.pamirpeaks.tj
- Peruvian Andes Adventures (Hisao Morales): email@example.com.
Juan Carlos Limachi, Climbing Bolivia Travel Agency, 956 Calle Linares, La Paz, Bolivia tel: (591-2) 2149959 mob: (591) 71911154